Thursday 30 June 2011

On the other hand...

I could stop being an instructor.

Probably not the best time to be looking for a job, but my teaching qualification is roughly equivalent to a degree qualification. Technically, I have letters after my name.

Paul Sharp A.D.I.

To do the job you need a clear idea of what you want your charge to achieve, and you need to find ways of making that happen. That's a transferrable skill, that is. I could be a manager or a teacher. You'd think teaching would be the way forward, but I think I'd find it very difficult to cope with a 4 year university course. I don't have the attention span or self motivation to do it easily. Last time I tried was about 10 years ago. I quickly got bogged down.

Then there are driving jobs. Definately don't want to do taxis though.

There are intelligent and well informed people who's view is that we're hitting the buffers. Now.

This article, for example, http://www.facebook.com/notes/r%C3%B8bert%C3%B8e-anders%C3%B8n/economic-projections-crash-into-geologic-reality/10150166625377245 attempted to put numbers to the question of how much prices would rise if the global oil supply fell by 1% per year. The number is comes out with is 53%. If that were to translate directly into how much I pay for a litre of diesel...

  • by this time next year, I'd be paying £2.14 a litre this time next year, or about £105 a week. 
  • In two years, I'd be paying £3.27 per litre/£160 a week. 
  • In three years it would cost £5/litre, or £244 a week.
  • 4 years from now it would cost £7.65. That's £373 a week.
  • After 5 years, a litre of diesel would cost £11.70. £570.69p per week, just on diesel.
Seems like we're all fucked, no matter what we do.

I keep trying to write a big long blogpost about how we're the luckiest people who ever lived. To be here, in a position of  priviledge (if you're reading this, you have access to a computer and the internet and electricity and you're literate because you got an education), and now, in these days of everyday miracles. I'm not just talking about technology or material goods here either. I think many of our Western liberal standards and ideas have ridden on the crest of the resource wave too.

But having been there, at that apogee, we also get to experience the terrifying slide down the opposite slope too. And it is scary. I can understand why we're in collective denial about it. So far, having always been pretty poor, Bren and I have been sort of struggling on. Always trying to find a way to get ahead of the game. Not trying to be rich or anything. Just so we don't have to worry about the next bill. Yet that's never happened. Things have always been getting slightly worse. We're running out of options.

Us and the whole damn world.

No comments: