Tuesday 26 June 2012

Subliminal messages

To be able to do something properly, you need to be able to do it without consciously thinking about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

So my job is sometimes to talk (and get my pupil to talk) about any old bollocks as long as it's nothing to do with the task at hand.

Hence, we might be driving down the road, and dealing with stuff, and if my pupil can do that while talking about football or the film they watched last night or whatever, that tells me a lot about where they're really up to.

And so it was that yesterday, my pupil, Ben, was driving home through Tranmere. It was about quarter past six in the evening.

"What would you like for tea?" I asked him.

Ben wasn't sure.

"In the best of all possible worlds", I added.

Ben was still uncertain. We drove along a bit further.

Eventually, he announced that he'd quite like Pizza.

We'd just driven past this defaced hoarding:



Ben, who'd been unconsciously, but diligently reading the road ahead, while consciously contemplating what he'd enjoy eating, was astounded when I pointed out what he'd just passed.

driving lessons in Wallasey?

Update: The hoarding wasn't defaced at all. It was cunningly done that way to make people look at it. Just in case we weren't already aware of them.

I will definately not be buying my car insurance from these annoying bastards.

No comments: