Tuesday 18 February 2014

learning/teaching....

...and having said it was an important thing to remember, I promptly forgot it.

I have a responsibility to my clients. They give me money, and in exchange, I do my level best to give them the skills they need to a) pass their driving test, and b) be confident and competent drivers.

If I try something, and it doesn't work, then it's up to me to try to find a way that does work for them. If they don't pass, then I have to take at least some responsibility.

And so with training a trainee. Same deal, although the stakes are rather higher.

Today, I introduced Beth to the PST's. The PreSet Tests that form the basis of the part three (teaching) exam that's the final hurdle that has to be cleared to get your green badge. I asked her to try to talk me through a PST on turning left and right.

Here response was hesitant, and not at all what I'd expected.

"I don't think I can do this". She said, on the verge of throwing in the towel, and on the edge of tears.

This is both my fault and my responsibility. I'd thrown her in at the deep end, without the tools she needed to make even a tentative foray into what she needed to do. I changed tack. Putting the PST's to one side, we did some practical, structured talkthroughs after discussing the structure that needed to be put in place.

Build from there. Learn from today. Just as I wouldn't ask a novice driver to drive through a busy city centre, I need to puppywalk Beth through the basics for now.

driving lessons in North Wirral? learn to drive in Hoylake? driving instructor in Birkenhead?

No comments: