Wednesday 12 February 2014

Words... don't come easy...

Think of something you can do really well... Like making a sandwich.

Now, imagine talking someone through the process, step by step, of making a sandwich. The person you're talking through the process has never made a sandwich before, and they're wearing a blindfold.

Now, did you remember to get them to hold the handle end of the knife? that the serrated edge goes downwards? When you told them to cut a slice of bread, did you get them to take it out of its wrapper first?

Ditto the cucumber...

Today I did my first instructor training session with Beth. We went out for a drive, then swapped around and I got her to talk me through moving away from the side of the road. Much hilarity ensued as she tried to break down what appears to be the simplest of driving tasks, and put them to me in a logical sequence.

It was a reminder of where I came from. For me, the words flow out effortlessly, but that fluency didn't just happen. It took many hours of intensive effort to get to that point. That I think is a useful thing to remember.

driving lessons in North Wirral? learn to drive in Hoylake? driving instructor in Birkenhead?

No comments: