Wednesday 18 November 2015

Well, bugger me sideways!

He passed!

Nah. Just kidding.

Just as in the mock test, he failed to give anything like a proper briefing on the phase one part, and never got to grips with things in the phase two.

Result? A 2-2, just like on the mock.

This means I guaged things correctly, which is good to know.

I got a text stating that he plans to do his second attempt in Liverpool. If you're struggling to spit out the words on roads you're familiar with, doing your test on roads you don't know is going to be that much harder. I've told him that if he plans to do his test over the water, he will need to find a Liverpool based trainer, who knows the roads, as it would take a lot of time to get there and back from here, and I don't know the roads that well. I will not be going over to Liverpool with him. That's absolutely certain.

But why do such a thing?

To get from where he is now to where he needs to be is a huge task. A massive effort is needed to make the required changes. Faced with this, and unable to recognise his own deficiencies, this is a displacement activity. Make inconsequential changes instead of getting to grips with the changes that need to be made.

driving lessons in North Wirral? learn to drive in Hoylake? driving instructor in Birkenhead?

1 comment:

Pete said...

Thanks for the update. You actually had me going there. I was amazed at how you could possibly have been so wrong in your assessment of his abilities. You weren't.

I notice you didn't say why he is so fixated (?) on becoming a driving instructor but you alluded to a reason. There are many occupations out there, why this one.

With any learning process, there is a learning curve and eventually this curve tends to a plateau or near-plateau. The length of time he has been at this and his current level tell me all I need to know.

Looking forward to the next instalment.