Sunday 22 January 2017

Tax

I'm preparing my accounts as I will have to submit my tax return for 2015-2016 before the end of this month.

It's a chore every year. Although I try to keep my pricing structure as straightforward as I can, there's enough variation that I have to go through each page of my diary and put numbers to times. This time around it's made slightly more complicated by the instructor training.

What was the exact date I raised my prices? Dunno exactly, although there are clues, such as when someone pays for a block of lessons, it's noted in my diary. When it went from "paid £220 for 11 hours" to "paid £240 for 11 hours" the change must have occurred around then. I keep people on at the rate they were paying when they started, so in any particular day, I can have pupils paying several different rates. Looking back at stuff in my diary 18 monhs ago, it's sometimes a struggle to recall exactly how much people have paid.

So there's going to be a bit of arbitaryness in the figures. I'm not trying to massage the numbers downwards, and it will be there or thereabouts. I'm thinking of it in the following way...

If I bought some sand from a sand merchant, I might order a hundredweight of it, or a tonne, or whatever. I would not order 1,098,239,028,493,892 grains of sand. Nor would I be particularly bothered if, having ordered 1 tonne of it, I actually got 999.78 kilogrammes. Nor would the sand seller be too concerned if I actually got 1001.48 kilogrammes.

One instructor I know proudly boasts that he's never paid a penny in tax since he started. He's busy, but he never pays a penny in tax. The same guy loudly complains on facebook about how the government should do more to look after old people and ex servicemen.

Prick.

Anyway, blogging as displacement activity. Back to the grindstone.

driving lessons in North Wirral? learn to drive in Hoylake? driving instructor in Birkenhead?

No comments: